Description Job Schedule:
Full Time Standard Hours:
40 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
- Provide direct patient care in office for hospital follow up visits 2 half days/week, including assessment, appropriate work-ups, occasional emergency work-ins and follow up plans for patients that have had acute or emergent surgery
- Collaborate with physicians to provide appropriate direct care interventions within scope of practice
- Obtain and document health history, perform and document physical exam, order and interpret diagnostic tests, and ensure timely retrieval of studies and reports
- Provide counseling to patients regarding diagnosis and expected course of treatment and recovery
- Collect, organize, record, and discuss data as appropriate and use sound clinical judgment based on best practice standards and evidenced based medicine
- Prescribe pharmaceuticals according to patient needs and conduct appropriate patient follow-up & outreach
- On call phone coverage from home required.
- Consult with appropriate internal and external staff to make appropriate referrals for acute, chronic and preventive care
- Document thoroughly in the patient electronic medical record, and complete appropriate forms according to HHCMG policies and procedures
- Carry out clinical interventions according to established plan of care, and adapts actions based on changes in patient needs or clinical presentation
- Review inpatient service with the EGS team each morning
- Round on designated inpatients for continuity of care, especially those nearing discharge, to review instructions and post-operative care
- Initiate office call-backs within 8 hours for urgent care; within 24 hours for triage messages
- Demonstrate commitment to ongoing education and improvement as evidenced by documentation of attendance at conferences, in-services, seminars, and committee meetings
- Maintain active involvement with HHCMG’s Mid-level Provider Council
- Contribute to the development of clinical policies, standardized procedures, and clinical pathways
- Perform other related duties in support of efficient department operations and superior patient care
- Complete requisite Risk Management training activities as required, and maintains all necessary credentialing
- Assists with system quality initiatives
In collaboration with the Attending Surgeons, the Emergency General Surgery Advanced Practitioner will perform inpatient hospital rounds, and evaluate patients in an ambulatory setting to facilitate transition of care from hospital to home, as well as maintain continuity across the different phases of care and recovery.
This provider will support the clinical management of patients by collaborating with attending surgeons, surgical residents, other advanced practice staff, clinical nurses and other members of health care team.
The scope of responsibility is characterized by individual provider experience, often working independently to assess, evaluate, plan and treat responses to actual or potential surgical problems utilizing standard practices, protocols and guidelines.
This position is currently 1.0FTE, with ~ 32 patient care hours per week.