St. Vincent's Medical Center
Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Part Time
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
St. Vincent’s Medical Center in Bridgeport has more than 3,200 employees. It includes a 473-bed community teaching hospital, a 76-bed inpatient psychiatric facility in Westport, a large multispecialty provider group, and special needs services for adults and children. St. Vincent’s is the first hospital in Fairfield County to be integrated into the Hartford HealthCare network, and is the system’s second-largest hospital.
Job Summary: Provides lactation care and instruction to breastfeeding mothers and infants. Serves as a lactation-related clinical resource, educator, and mentor.
• Performs initial and on-going assessments of patients' lactation goals and issues. Instructs and demonstrates proper techniques and promotes the importance of breastfeeding.
• Identifies the need for standard patient teaching plans and assists with their development.
• Acts as a liaison to staff and physicians when addressing needs associated with breastfeeding.
• Contributes to the development of data tools to monitor and improve outcomes.
• Offers and facilitates pre & postnatal education to the childbearing community.
• Assesses, evaluates newborns to validate they are all receiving nutritional needs.
• Serves as lactation education for staff RNs, MDs, CNMs and the like.
• Participates in data collection for regulatory bodies.
• Other Duties as assigned
• Reflects ANA Scope and Standards of Nursing Practice (2015), ANA Code of Ethics (2015), and ANA Social Policy Statement (2015).
Licensure / Certification / Registration:
• Licensed Registered Nurse credentialed from the Connecticut Department of Public Health obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
One or more of the following:
• Certified BLS Provider credentialed from the American Heart Association(AHA) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
• Certified BLS Provider credentialed from the American Red Cross obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
• Certified Certification specializing in Neonatal Resuscitation credentialed from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
• Certified Certification specializing in Neonatal Resuscitation credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
Preferred Credential(s): Certified Certification specializing in Lactation credentialed from the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE).
Education: Associates Degree in Nursing Required, BSN Preferred.
Work Experience: Baby Friendly Experience Preferred.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.