Charlotte Hungerford Hospital
Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Full Time
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
Charlotte Hungerford Hospital is a 122-bed, general acute care community hospital located in Torrington, Connecticut, that serves as a regional health care resource for the 100,000 residents of Litchfield County and Northwest Connecticut. CHH offers personalized attention from an expert team of caregivers and physicians that utilize advanced technology and clinical partnerships in a convenient, safe and comfortable patient environment.
Performs duties of retractor holder position on surgical procedures using proper principles of aseptic technique. Performs ancillary duties, i.e., stocking supplies, clean up of surgical cases and assembly of surgical supplies and equipment. Responsible to the Clinical Manager, Surgical Services. Receive direction from professional nursing staff.
1. Demonstrates comprehension and applies principles of aseptic technique.
2. Utilizes universal precautions appropriately.
3. Prepares rooms with appropriate instruments, sutures, supplies and equipment.
4. Maintains and cares for equipment and supplies. Documents maintenance and repairs.
5. Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures and after terminal cleaning. Monitors and restocks supplies.
6. Assists with room clean up and follows procedures for cleaning and processing special OR equipment and instruments.
7. Supports instruments applied to vessels to maintain their position and or assist the surgeon when he applies a ligature around the vessel with which the instruments had been clamped.
8. Drapes patients for surgical procedures.
9. Opens sterile supplies and sets up for procedures.
10. Performs duties such as running errands, delivering of X-Rays/specimens/blood products, stocking sub-sterile room and washing instruments.
11. Cuts sutures as directed by surgeon.
12. Provides exposure to operative site by retracting of patient tissue with proper instrumentation.
13. Preps patient as directed by surgeon. Assists nurses with surgical preps 9 i.e., limb holding, patient
14. Applies venodyne stockings to patients as directed by nursing staff.
15. Assists with restocking of surgical suite, i.e., rooms, specialty carts with inventory lists and outdates. Orders supplies as needed.
16. Suctions would site at surgeons’ direction.
17. Cleans and maintains autoclaves.
18. Operates camera for Laparoscopic procedures.
19. Assists with the transportation of patients.
20. Has basic knowledge of Steris and runs Steris Diagnostic test.
21. Daily, restocks surgical attire in locker room.
22. Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, and specific job-related hazards.
All required safety education programs have been attended.
Provides complete and accurate responses to safety questions.
Operates assigned equipment and performs all procedures in a safe manner as instructed.
Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by department standards.
Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions.
Completes work assignments on time/readily accepts assignments as observed by the Clinical Manager of Surgical Services.
Reports to work on time, as observed by the Clinical Manager of Surgical Services.
23. Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety environmental and infection control standards.
24. Under the guidance of the Clinical Manager of Surgical Services, follows policies for authorization for Replacement of equipment and supplies needed for department.
Pursues professional development.
Establishes goals that are congruent with department goals.
Attends inservices as required.
Attends programs designed to increase knowledge related to job duties.
Attends meetings as required.
25. Displays and upholds CHH core values of dignity, compassion, service excellence, community and integrity. Consistently demonstrates caring for patients, for one another, and for the organization they are part of, and contributes to building trust, pride and camaraderie.
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL REQUIREMENTS, AND DESIRED ATTRIBUTES
Patient population contact with adults and geriatrics. Internal and external contact with all necessary parties. Handles multiple priorities, independent discretion/decision making, manages stress appropriately, works alone effectively, works in close proximity to others and/or in a distracting environment, works with others effectively. Attends all mandatory education programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety and regulatory compliance. Attends all required department-specific education and training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to department safety and specific job‑related hazards. Follows the hospital exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens. Attire is professional, neat, clean, and appropriate for the work environment. Wears proper identification while on duty. Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times, as observed by peers and management. Reports to work on time and meets acceptable standard for attendance. Attends a minimum of two staff meetings, reads minutes for all staff meetings, and participates in committees as required. CPR Certification.
High School Graduate or Equivalent
Six (6) months of job related experience.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.