St. Vincent's Medical Center
Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Part Time
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
St. Vincent’s Medical Center in Bridgeport has more than 3,200 employees. It includes a 473-bed community teaching hospital, a 76-bed inpatient psychiatric facility in Westport, a large multispecialty provider group, and special needs services for adults and children. St. Vincent’s is the first hospital in Fairfield County to be integrated into the Hartford HealthCare network, and is the system’s second-largest hospital.
Job Summary: Collects and processes blood specimens for testing.
• Draws and collects blood samples. Verifies records.
• Labels, processes and delivers specimens for testing.
• Maintains supplies and equipment.
• May assist with coordinating and conducting blood drives, including interviewing and screening donors.
• Satisfactorily performs all blood drawing procedures as evidenced by successful completion of the annual phlebotomists competency assessment and the General Phlebotomist Procedure Manual.
• Labeling all blood samples according to protocol, as evidenced by no more than one labeling error/year.
• Accurately processes specimens according to priority including transportation to the lab and notification to the clerical staff.
• Assist with receiving, identifying, accessioning and transporting specimens.
• Perform clerical duties which may include but are not limited to answering phones, data entry and filling.
• Perform special procedures such as difficult venipuncture, micro plate set up, preparation for reference lab samples, etc.
• Maintain work area in a safe, aseptic and organized manner.
• Other Duties as assigned.
Licensure / Certification / Registration:
• Certified BLS Provider credentialed from the American Red Cross.
• Certified BLS Provider credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA).
Education: Associate's degree or Technical degree in a related field, or combination of High School degree and related experience and Six months previous experience as a phlebotomist preferred
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.