Description Job Schedule:
Full Time Standard Hours:
40 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, almost 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
St. Vincent’s Medical Center, with more than 3,200 colleagues, is a 473-bed community teaching hospital having a 76-bed inpatient psychiatric facility in Westport, a large multispecialty provider group and St. Vincent’s Special Needs Services. St. Vincent's Medical Center is committed to exceptional health care for all with special attention to persons living in poverty and those who are most vulnerable. St. Vincent’s is the first hospital in Fairfield County to be integrated into the Hartford HealthCare network, and is the system’s second-largest hospital.
The Director will ensure the achievement of core strategies and operating results by providing leadership in the planning for and direction of the Pharmacy Department within St. Vincent’s Medical Center. The Director will lead the charge in scaling pharmacy services to meet the demands of a growing hospital as well as have a system level area of responsibility across all of Hartford HealthCare’s pharmacies. The Director will develop multiple initiatives addressing best practices and efficient operations within the department, as well as developing staffing and quality assurance methods that will scale with growth.
- Identifies opportunities to leverage pharmacy expertise to improve quality, safety, patient experience, access across the continuum of care and the economic performance of the organization
- Develops the budget and monitors financial performance to ensure accurate, appropriate and timely recording and classification of revenue and expense; seeks opportunities to implement medication related programs such as retail, specialty and employee services. Maximizes effectiveness of 340B drug discount program
- Ensures compliance with local, state and national regulations including Board of Pharmacy, DEA, CMS, 340B, and TJC standards
- Optimizes medication management and advance pharmacy practice by ensuring that pharmacy is responsible for developing and complying with evidence-based prescribing and criteria that support effective, safe and fiscally responsible treatment
- Advance the application of information technology in medication management to achieve patient safety innovations by using electronic health records, clinical decision support, medication administration systems and technologies to increase safety and efficiency of medication distribution including automated dispensing units
- Ensure drug utilization management through formulary initiatives that optimize therapeutic outcomes, reduce risk of drug-related problems and ensure the use of cost effective pharmacotherapy
- Collaborate with system pharmacy team with pharmaceutical contracting, procurement, receiving, security, inventory control, diversion prevention and distribution policies
- Participate in hospital wide strategic initiatives and on hospital wide committees to meet the goals and objectives of the organization
- Ensures adequate staffing and all staff meet regulatory and accrediting requirements. Serves as a role model to staff by continuously demonstrating Hartford HealthCare core values, creating employee ownership for their careers and success, and providing staff with positive and actionable feedback
- Bachelors in Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree from an accredited college of Pharmacy is required
- Five plus years of post-graduate experience in an acute care hospital setting with progressive management and supervisory
- Three plus years of leadership experience
- Experience in hospital pharmacy practice and management
- Experience leading evidence-based clinical decision-making about drug use, physician prescribing habits, medication management systems, medication policy and the technology used to deliver and support patient care
- Unrestricted pharmacist license from Connecticut Board of Pharmacy or eligibility within 45 days from hire
- In depth knowledge of the pharmaceutical supply chain, clinical therapeutics
- Knowledgeable about Pharmacy Distribution systems
- Clinically astute regarding drugs, reimbursement, billing and regulatory issues
- Demonstrated experience in managing and developing people and programs
- Effective verbal and written communications skills; strong presentation skills
- Ability to develop an outside professional network as it relates to the field of pharmacy
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.