Description Job Schedule:
Full Time Standard Hours:
40 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
Provides holistic, quality and cost-effective advanced practice care for patients, and families and participates in the medical/psychiatric management of patients, to achieve or maintain optimal health status, manage disease and reduce risk of illness. Engages in independent decision-making regarding the health care of individuals and families.
1. Performs comprehensive psychiatric assessments including, but not limited to:
- Chief complaint
- History of present problem
- General medical, psychiatric, substance abuse, social and family history
- Current medications
- History of allergies and /or untoward responses to medication
- Review of systems
- Mental status exam
- Assessment of spirituality
- A DSM IV diagnosis
- Short and long term goals
- A treatment plan, when indicated
2. Obtains evidence of recent physical examination. Recommends that patients have a physical exam yearly.
3. Orders and interprets diagnostic studies and laboratory tests, which may include blood tests, urinalysis, EKG, EEG, and other appropriate tests, to evaluate and treat the patient.
4. Prescribes, dispenses, and administers medical therapeutics and corrective measures in collaboration with designated staff psychiatrist. (See Attachment A for description of relationship to psychiatrist.)
5. Recommends and provides appropriate psychiatric interventions, including individual, family and group psychotherapy.
6. Provides appropriate education to patients and families. Educates staff and students, formally or informally, to enhance their ability to provide patient care.
7. Engages in/collaborates with others in the research process to discover, examine and test knowledge, theories and creative approaches to practice. Uses research findings as a basis for practice and to improve health care.
8. Provides consultation to health care providers and others to influence care plans, enhance ability to provide health care, and affect change in systems.
9. Identifies, communicates and seeks resources or instruction to meet self-learning needs and continuing education needs.
- Current APRN license required. Certification according to CT State law.
- Master's Degree in Nursing strongly preferred.
- Specific experience in psychiatry required.
- Basic working knowledge of computers.