Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Full Time
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
Hartford Hospital is one of the largest and most respected teaching hospitals as well as a Level I trauma center. Hartford Hospital is on the cutting edge of technology & medical care and is home to the Center for Education, Simulation and Innovation (CESI), one of the most-advanced medical simulation training centers in the world. Housing the Northeast’s largest robotic surgery center, committed to becoming the best in the country for patient safety and is pursuing that goal by taking innovative action and creating a culture of safety at every level within the organization.
The Vascular Clinical Specialist performs at an advanced level providing services and support before, during, and after surgical procedures [vascular and/or endovascular]. They ensures the presence and proper arrangement of surgical equipment and supplies in the operating room to each operation; assists the surgeon during the operation as allowed by professional and legal standards. The Vascular Clinical Specialist assists/directs cleaning of the operating room after the operation, ensuring proper routing of equipment and used material. They act as a resource in quality control initiatives.
Key areas of responsibility
• Demonstrates competencies in Nursing practice (knowledge and behaviors), utilizing research behaviors, to meet age-specific patient needs
• Provides/models quality patient/customer service by: demonstrating proficiency in basic computer skills such as operating clinical display and logging on, identification and navigation of clinical display, utilization of rosters and charts, troubleshooting and logging off, and email; demonstrating a willingness to accommodate all customers at all times; maintaining an awareness of patient needs and utilizing initiative to respond to those needs; utilizing tact, discretion, and compassion in responding to patient/family needs; maintaining confidentiality of all patient information; and functioning in a collaborative manner with other members of the team to ensure quality patient care
• Assumes responsibility for self-improvement, in collaboration with the leadership team by identifying, communicating and seeking resources or instruction/validation to meet own learning needs, and is self-directed in maintaining currency of validations
• Contributes to care improvement by participating in: coaching, and acting as resource for peers; performance/quality improvement opportunities; demonstrating the cost effective utilization of resources (self/unit in resource role) and by recognizing the value of research findings as part of continuous improvement. Contributes to improvement of nursing practice by questioning current practices
• Using reliable tools and measures, evaluates and documents patient/family responses, (including post-discharge/post transfer follow-up via measurement of nursing-sensitive outcomes), identifies complex variances from anticipated outcomes, and appropriately revises plan of care according to patient/family needs, monitoring outcomes across shifts for unit based stay and functioning as patient advocate as needed
• Supports the vascular and/or endovascular operating room procedures at Midstate Medical Center within the scope of practice for a Registered Nurse in the state of Connecticut
• Demonstrates knowledge of intraoperative patient care spectrum and performs according to basic standards of care. Maintains a safe environment for the patient by following policies and procedures related to the environment (e.g., surgical asepsis, electrical and safety, OR sanitation, processing and sterilization of instrumentation, infection control, and tissue/fluid cultures).
• Assures availability/readiness of all necessary equipment and supplies. Responsible for assuring the sterility of the operative field. Drapes the patient as requested. Assists the surgeon during the operative procedure and is responsible with the Surgical Tech for performing all counts with proper documentation. Assists with the room turnovers, and may assist with the transport of the patient
• Participates in decision-making activities related to evaluating, acquiring surgical equipment instruments and supplies.
Bachelor’s degree in Nursing
Five (5) years minimum experience as a Registered nurse.
Minimum 2 years OR experience which includes a minimum of (1) year vascular and/or endovascular OR experience in a level 1 Trauma center performing complex and high critical open and close Vascular and/or endovascular procedures/surgeries. Prior experience in complex and high volume academic operating room environment is a preferred.
Licensure, Certification, Registration
Active CT State Registered Nurse License.
BLS certification by the American Heart Association.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Requirements
• Requires demonstration of strong organizational skills and is self-directed with the ability to problem solve independently.
• Demonstrates leadership abilities such as the ability to direct/support others in development of organizational skills.
• Ability to service/troubleshoot specialty instruments and equipment.
• Ability to act as a resource person in 2 specialty/sub-specialty areas.
• Demonstrated evidence in serving as a liaison to Central Sterile Supply to assure proper maintenance and processing of instrumentation and sterilization.
Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships within and outside the operating room. Consistent demonstration of role model behaviors
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.