Hartford HealthCare at Home
Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Part Time
where every moment
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network as a Visiting Registered Nurse.
Hartford HealthCare at Home, the largest provider of homecare services in Connecticut, has been fulfilling our mission for more than 115 years. Our Person-Centered Care Model allows our employees to learn and grow within our organization, all while providing integrated support to the patient. As part of Hartford HealthCare, we leverage cutting edge technology to provide quality care in our client’s home. Most importantly, our employees are appreciated for the real differences they make in both the lives of their clients and their clients’ families.
Under the direction of the home care or Hospice Clinician, assists patients with personal care and activities of daily living. Performs special patient care tasks and household duties as instructed by the home care or Hospice Clinician. Responsible for recording services provided and obtaining patient signatures.
• Assists patients with personal hygiene and grooming, in as safe, clean and
healthy an environment as possible.
• Follows Agency policy with regard to infection control and universal
precautions without exception.
• Provides appropriate and safe techniques of personal hygiene procedures to
include bed bath, sponge bath, tub or shower bath, hair shampoo in sink, tub
or bed, nail and skin care, toileting and elimination, following plan of care
developed by case manager.
• Accepts responsibility for and adapts readily to care needs of the specialized
patient population as directed by the nurse, therapist or social worker in
an appropriate and safe manner.
• Assists patients with rehabilitation services, including exercises, ambulation,
transfer activities and positioning, after proper instructions from Clinician in an
appropriate and safe manner.
• Assists patients with medications that are ordinarily self-administered.
• Reminds patient of timeliness of medication order but does not administer
• Recognizes and reports promptly to Clinician or Supervisor, any emergencies
or changes in the mental and physical status of the patient.
• Helps promote patients' mental alertness through conversation, reading, games and other activities.
• Performs other duties in support of Home Health Aide Department and Agency.
• Works weekend, holiday, and extended hours, in a responsible and competent
manner, displaying a professional attitude, to meet patient care needs.
• Flexible and timely in completion of assignments; reports necessary changes
• promptly and appropriately.
• Attends three (3) hours of in-service education per quarter, (totaling twelve (12) hours per year, or which six (6) hours relate to Hospice topics) pro-rated according to date of hire including mandatory in-services i.e. Hospice, OSHA, Ethics, etc.
• Participates in case conferences as needed.
• Performs household responsibilities to assist patients in developing and
maintaining as clean and healthy an environment as possible.
• Performs appropriate light household chores i.e. dishes, dusting, personal
laundry, changing of bed linen, in a thorough, safe fashion related to patient
• Prepares or assists with nutritious meals and prescribed diets. Feeds patient
when necessary, according to plan of care, in a hygienic manner.
• Maintains and records proper fluid intake as reflected in plan of care.
• Tidies kitchen, bedroom and bathroom in patient care areas to ensure
cleanliness, and safety of patient.
• Observes for patient safety in their environment and alerts the Clinician or
• Supervisor of potential risks. Records services provided and observations of patient status in an appropriate, accurate, and legible manner, in accordance with plan of care initiated by clinician.
• Accurately prepares Home Health Aide Daily Narrative form with required
patient identification, time and date of visit, and activities performed on a daily
• Signs each visit narrative and obtains patient or family members signature to
verify each visit at the time of visit. Submits completed, accurate and legible narrative to Home Health Aide Department on a weekly basis.
• Completes weekly time sheet accurately and legibly, and submits to Home
Health Aide Department in a timely fashion.
• Responsible to obtain and follow patient schedules as assigned. (5%)
• Responsible to pick up schedule on Fridays prior to the start of work week
on Saturday. If on vacation, contacts Supervisor/Scheduler or picks up
schedule prior to seeing patients.
• Follows schedule as printed unless directed by Supervisor/Scheduler.
• Calls into Supervisor/Scheduler if unable to follow schedule as printed, prior to
• Demonstrate understanding of after hour procedures, and educate patients to
on-call / after hours coverage.
Education & Training: Ability to read and write. Completion of an approved Home Health Aide Program.
License/Certification: Home Health Aide Certification from an approved Home Health Aide Program and/or CNA certification.
Nursing Students: Any person who has successfully completed a course or courses comprising not less than seventy five (75) hours of theoretical and clinical instruction in the fundamental skills of nursing in a practical nursing or registered nursing program approved by the department with the advice and assistance of the state board of examiners for nursing may be deemed to have completed a homemaker - home health aide training program approved by the commissioner in accordance with State of Connecticut, Department of Public Health regulation Section 19-13-D69 (d) (z) (p). If the curriculum meets the minimum requirements as set forth in this section, such individual shall complete a homemaker-home health aide competency evaluation before the provision of homemaker - home health aide services.
Experience: Previous patient care experience preferred.
• Ability to accurately and timely carry out instructions.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to interact with patients, families and co-workers.
• Reliable and motivated.
• Ability to handle stressful situations.
• Ability to remain flexible regarding patient care assignments.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment.
Other: Valid motor vehicle operators license, reliable personal automobile during business hours preferred, and active automobile insurance coverage in accordance with Agency policy preferred. Willingness to utilize public transportation acceptable.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.