Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Full Time
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, almost 20,000 Hartford HealthCare employees come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
The Hartford HealthCare Cancer Institute focuses on offering our cancer patients an unparalleled network of coordinated services– all under one roof. Our system of care includes a truly integrated team with the most talented, experienced, and compassionate caregivers and physicians, backed by the latest cutting-edge technology.
The Hartford HealthCare Cancer Institute (HHC CI) is the charter member of the Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) Cancer Alliance. Through the bi-directional collaboration facilitated by this partnership, community providers are better positioned to provide state-of-the-art, evidence-based cancer care to improve the lives of cancer patients. Together, the Hartford Healthcare Cancer Institute and Memorial Sloan Kettering are staying ahead of cancer.
Join us as we open the Phase I Clinical Trials Unit at the Hartford HealthCare Cancer Institute. This new state-of-the-art outpatient unit is dedicated to cancer research and provides Connecticut residents with local access to the most innovative treatments and the newest discoveries in cancer care.
The Infusion Nurse works on a Phase I Oncology Clinical Trials Unit and performs direct care to patients enrolled on oncology clinical trials. This role is primarily responsible for delivering direct patient care to all patients treated in the clinical trials unit. This role reports to the Unit Nurse Manager and works closely with the medical director, nurse practitioner and research coordinator to deliver the highest possible quality of care to patients enrolled in clinical trials. Responsibilities will include but, are not limited to:
• Provide direct care to the patients in accordance with research protocol requirements to patients enrolled in oncology clinical trials
• Safely administer chemotherapy according to the Oncology Nursing Society’s protocol and state regulations
• Administer chemotherapy, injections and draws labs as ordered
• Chemotherapy teaching to include self-administration of injections and symptom management.
• Performs central line care including port and PICC flushing, dressing change, lab draws, and administering medications.
• Collaborate with clinical trial research coordinators and other staff
• Monitor patients at home for anticipated chemotherapy/surgery/radiation-associated toxicities and screening for unanticipated toxicities.
• Triage patients via telephone and in-person to determine urgency of physician evaluation
• Supports research efforts to advance knowledge and to promote research based practice
• May coordinate new patient consultations in conjunction with MD/NP staff
• Chart patient transactions, phone calls, and prescription refills
• Assess the physical and psychosocial status of patients by means of interview, health history, physical examination, and diagnostic studies
• Dictate or type follow-up-letter, patient histories, admissions, progress notes, and other items in a timely manner
• Maintains all research-related regulatory requirements
This is an innovative leadership opportunity to be at the forefront of Cancer Care.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
• Current RN license
• One year of experience as oncology infusion nurse
• Oncology Nursing Certification strongly preferred
• Clinical research experience strongly preferred
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.