Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Full Time
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, almost 20,000 Hartford HealthCare employees come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
Hartford Hospital is one of the largest and most respected teaching hospitals as well as a Level I trauma center. Hartford Hospital is on the cutting edge of technology & medical care and is home to the Center for Education, Simulation and Innovation (CESI), one of the most-advanced medical simulation training centers in the world. Housing the Northeast’s largest robotic surgery center, committed to becoming the best in the country for patient safety and is pursuing that goal by taking innovative action and creating a culture of safety at every level within the organization.
Working with a dedicated team of physicians and researchers, the Cardiovascular Genetic Counselor will play a key role in the development and implementation of the Hartford HealthCare adult clinical cardiovascular genetic program and related research projects. In this busy academic clinical cardiovascular setting the successful candidate will provide genetic counseling services that includes patients with familial cardiovascular diseases, e.g. arrhythmia, cardiomyopathy, adult congenital heart disease, aortic diseases etc. and will assist in coordinating genetic research studies.
Key areas of responsibility
• Responsible for overseeing patient care: interviewing patients to obtain comprehensive medical histories/reviewing medical records and document the findings; analyzing genetic information to identify patients or families at risk for specific disorders and syndromes; coordinating cascade genetic testing and follow-up visits, providing tests results to patients; conducting outreach to patients, families and stakeholders.
• Write detailed consultation reports to provide information on complex genetic concepts for patients or referring physicians.
• Discuss testing options and the associated risks, benefits, and limitations with patients and families. Addresses patient and family concerns regarding condition.
• Interpret laboratory results and communicate findings to patients or physicians
• Counsel patients and family members by providing information, education, or reassurance regarding genetic risk and inherited conditions
• Determine patient treatment plans by reviewing laboratory work, literature, and patient histories
• Obtains and maintains Hartford HealthCare institutional review board (IRB) approval, recruits study patients, explaining studies to prospective participants and assisting with obtaining informed consent. Participate in data analysis, manuscript preparation, and grant preparations with the opportunity to co-author journal publications and to present results at national meetings.
• Participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in genetic and genomics.
Master’s degree in Genetic Counseling. PhD preferred.
Licensure, Certification, Registration
• CT state license as a Genetic Counselor [LGC]
Certification as a Genetic Counselor by the American Board of Genetic Counseling [ABGC] or the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics [ABMG].
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Requirements
• Knowledge of cardiovascular diseases that are genetically linked
• Knowledge of research protocols and research regulatory requirements
• Ability to work independently and supportively with a team reflecting positive behaviors toward patients, families, physicians, and all clinical and research staff
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.