Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Full Time
Hartford HealthCare (HHC) is searching for a full-time Chief Medical Librarian to join the library team. This position offers an excellent opportunity for an experienced professional in health library science to join a progressive large quaternary medical center with a long and distinguished academic and research pedigree.
While this position is physically based at Hartford Hospital, it is an expectation the selected candidate will oversee the Health Sciences Library enterprise across the system.
The healthcare system affiliates with two medical schools in Connecticut, the University Of Connecticut School Of Medicine and The Frank H Netter School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University. The HHC system is the primary affiliate and an integral part of the educational mission of their undergraduate medical education and graduate medical education programs. In addition, HHC has numerous high value educational affiliations and partnerships with several top tier universities and colleges in Connecticut for several categories of nursing programs as well as a wide array of allied health programs. On any given day, there are over a thousand students and trainees on the various campuses of HHC.
· Manages and oversees other library science colleagues at Hartford Hospital and other partner institutions; participates regularly and as need on coaching and mentoring of colleagues and direct reports
· Works with library sciences colleagues to manage overall operations and services
· The selected candidate must use good judgment, initiative and creativity to develop long and short term plans for health science library information services
· Analyzes customer’s request, defines strategy for researching and develops and executes research strategies to obtain information in a most cost effective manner; uses sophisticated strategy utilizing on-line search engines, and other resources and analyzes results for appropriateness to fulfill customer’s objective; communicates with customer at various stages of research to refine research
· Will support the needs of the HHC research enterprise for planning and executing our portfolio of research
· Works with academic affairs leadership to analyze the utilization of library science resources and provides regular utilization reports, which includes number of unique users, search numbers, cost per search for every library science resource and platform.
· Conducts annual review of education platform utilization and makes a value based determination of the continued subscription to said platform
· Works with academic affairs leadership with initiate early discussion with vendors and do the initial work on contract renewals and costing; works with the HHC supply chain and purchasing team in the negotiation of contract renewals;
· Creates itemized annual reports of health sciences library expenses and processes chargebacks to HHC partner institutions.
· Encouraged to participate actively in professional library organizations to cultivate relationships with the health sciences library community to maximize sharing through information exchange, interlibrary loan, reference and referral and to remain current with best practices and to ensure information exchange with outside resources
· Identifies and evaluates new and emerging technologies for multimedia, on-line information, and other information sources and acquires as justified to meet business needs
· Will be a nonvoting member of the Hartford Hospital Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC) at the monthly meetings
· Will work with GME leadership of HHC (including Hartford Hospital, THOCC, SVMC CHH et al) to support the education resource needs of residents and fellows; additionally be available to provide or assign small group training for GME in the search of on line databases.
· Will work with Nursing leadership to train and support the educational needs of nurses in practice and higher education
· Be a resource for the Hartford Hospital Medical Staff to help them with access and learn the HHC digital Health Science Library portal.
· Will work with HHC regional leadership to provide onsite training to medical, nursing and other staff at our regional facilities that do not have a librarian onsite librarian.
Master's Degree in library science
· 3-5 years of experience in managing or leading library services in a healthcare setting, and managing and overseeing a small team of library science professionals
· 3-5 years’ experience using on-line search engines and electronic sources for education and research, preferably in a healthcare institutional setting
· 3-5 years of experience in literature searching for clinical and research documents such as systematic reviews, clinical practice guidelines and
· Experience writing publications for information literacy/ mastery and experience in design and development of library instructional materials.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively and provide high quality and timely service to a wide range of customers in their activities related to clinical care, education and research.
· Proven effective communicator including verbal, written and listening skills
· Ability to work effectively both on teams and independently
· Demonstrated ability to search information with focus on healthcare
· Experience working with standard desktop applications, especially databases, in networked environments, specifically Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint, WebEx etc.
· Good organizational skills with attention to detail