Description Job Schedule:
Full Time Standard Hours:
40 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
Weekend only, 12hr shift, 7A-7P, Sat. Sun. Mon.
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, almost 30,000 Hartford HealthCare employees come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
St. Vincent’s Medical Center in Bridgeport has more than 3,200 employees. It includes a 473-bed community teaching hospital, a 76-bed inpatient psychiatric facility in Westport, a large multispecialty provider group, and special needs services for adults and children. St. Vincent’s is the first hospital in Fairfield County to be integrated into the Hartford HealthCare network, and is the system’s second-largest hospital.
Performs a variety of processing duties including: decontamination, instrument assembly, packaging, sterilization, and case cart assembly. Fulfills all processing and documentation requirements to ensure efficient distribution of high quality sterile products that meet customer expectations. Maintains a thorough knowledge of instrumentation, equipment, utilization, and sterile processing. Works in collaboration with peri-operative services to provide appropriate surgical instrumentation. Ability to work independently in the absence of the Shift Lead.
- Provides appropriate instrumentation for surgical procedures ensuring accuracy, proper function, processing and storage and usage according to scheduled and anticipated demand.
- Demonstrates ability to manage and execute case cart picking function using proper pick sheets, adherence to standard setup, quality assurance and timely delivers of end product. Utilizes proper forms and procedures to document picking of each item.
- Retrieves case carts from Operating Room and delivers to the decontamination area. Retrieves clinical floor sets form Labor and Delivery and all clinical floors.
- Performs Steam, Sterrad sterilization and is able to disinfect flexible scopes in the Steris unit in a timely and accurate manner ensuring strict adherence to all documented requirements.
- Performs decontamination of medical-surgical instrumentation and equipment accordance to department policies, infection prevention guidelines and manufacturer’s written instructions.
- Efficiently and accurately inspects, assembles, packages and wraps instruments and supplies in preparation and packaging area of Central Sterile Supply according to priority needs and daily assignments.
- Delivers medical-surgical instruments and supplies to patient care areas and the Operating Room Surgical Suites. Stocking of linen and clinical floor sets on clinical floors.
- Adherence to Safety Standards, Blood and Bodily Fluid Precautions and Hand Washing. Strictly follows the Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) standards including the Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses (AORN) standards.
- Takes Inventory on all Clinical Floors and OR and replenishes medical–surgical supplies by par level.
- Perform other related duties as required
- High School Diploma or equivalent experience
- One (1) year experience in Sterile Processing Svcs preferred.
Licensure, Certification, Registration
- Current "Sterile Processing Distribution Technician Certification" from the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution Inc. (CBSPD) or Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) from IAHCSMM required.
- Ability to read, write and speak English required.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Requirements
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Must obtain a minimum of 10 CEU’s (continuous education units) per year.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.