Description Job Schedule:
Full Time Standard Hours:
40 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
rotating weekends, holidays and call
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
The Hospital of Central Connecticut is an acute-care community teaching hospital, we provide comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services in general medicine and surgery, as well as a wide variety of specialties. Staffed by our talented team of leading professionals, The Hospital of Central Connecticut provides a wide array of services throughout the region, caring for patients from birth through the end of life.
Performs a variety of processing duties including: decontamination, sterilization, supply, case cart assembly and packaging. Fulfills all requirements for documentation to ensure the department is able to distribute high quality sterile products in an efficient manner to effectively meet the requirements of its customers. Maintains a thorough knowledge of instrumentation, equipment, utilization, and sterile processing. Working toward obtaining Sterile Processing Distribution Technician Certification.
- Provides appropriate instrumentation for surgical procedures ensuring accuracy, proper function, processing and storage and usage according to scheduled and anticipated demand.
- Demonstrates ability to manage and execute case cart picking function using proper pick sheets, adherence to standard setup, quality assurance and timely delivers of end product. Utilizes proper forms and procedures to document picking of each item.
- Retrieves case carts from Operating Room and delivers to the decontamination area. Retrieves clinical floor sets form Labor and Delivery and all clinical floors.
- Performs Steam, Sterrad sterilization and is able to disinfect flexible scopes in the Steris unit in a timely and accurate manner ensuring strict adherence to all documented requirements.
- Performs decontamination of medical-surgical instrumentation and equipment accordance to department policies, infection prevention guidelines and manufacturer’s written instructions.
- Efficiently and accurately inspects, assembles, packages and wraps instruments and supplies in preparation and packaging area of Central Sterile Supply according to priority needs and daily assignments.k
- Delivers medical-surgical instruments and supplies to patient care areas and the Operating Room Surgical Suites. Stocking of linen and clinical floor sets on clinical floors.
- Adherence to Safety Standards, Blood and Bodily Fluid Precautions and Hand Washing. Strictly follows the Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) standards including the Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses (AORN) standards.
- Takes Inventory on all Clinical Floors and OR and replenishes medical–surgical supplies by par level.
- Works effectively as a team member within department to provide quality service to hospital units through communication, cooperation, and collaboration in order to respond to problems that arise
- Adheres to established department production standards for instrumentation case card production, decontamination, sterilization and preparation and packaging.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
Licensure, Certification, Registration
- Must obtain "Sterile Processing Distribution Technician Certification" from the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution Inc. (CBSPD) or Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) from IAHCSMM within 24 months of hire (in accordance with CT state law)
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Requirements:
- Must be able to answer the telephone identifying the department in a pleasant and courteous manner.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.