Description Job Schedule:
Per Diem Standard Hours:
1 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
Per Diem RN Bed Manager
Shifts include: 0700-1900 or 1900-0700
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
The creation of the HHC System Support Office recognizes the work of a large and growing group of employees whose responsibilities are continually evolving so that we and our departments now work on behalf of the system as a whole, rather than a single member organization.
With the creation of our new umbrella organization we now have our own identity with a unique payroll, benefits, performance management system, service recognition programs and other common practices across the system.
The Bed Manager is responsible for the placement of all patient admissions and transfer activity while monitoring capacity both currently and prospectively in all HHC facilities. The position is responsible for:
- facilitating continuous throughput of patients from all points of entry within the Hartford HealthCare system by utilizing effective verbal communication, reviewing technology that supports patient placement activities, and swift clinical decision making.
- Acts as the liaison between all points of entry (ED, PACU/OR, direct admissions, transfers from other facilities), the Administrator on Call, clinical leadership, and physicians throughout the organization.
- The position applies nursing knowledge derived from education and experience as the foundation for clinical triage and placement decisions and communications. Reports to the Manager of Bed Management.
Key Areas of Responsibilities
- Patient Throughput
- Be point of contact to communicate with physicians and nurses throughout the organization to include the Hartford, Central and East Regions regarding emergency, elective, and direct admissions and transfers and availability to support timely placement
- Effectively manage all the bed resources for Hartford HealthCare to support inpatient demand.
- Triage clinical needs of all patients to assure appropriate, timely bed assignment through collaboration with physician leadership and clinical management.
- Increase effective bed capacity by identifying barriers in bed assignment processes and collaborate with clinical management in the resolution of these issues.
- Documents and reports on timeliness of patient placement activities and issues of concern related to efficient throughput.
- Provides necessary education to the clinical workforce on the use of the electronic patient placement system.
- Evaluates clinical need of patient transfer activity associated with bed management needs.
- Identifies clinical priorities in relation to the bed assignment process in collaboration with the physicians, ED, PACU and OR staff and the Medical Director of the Transfer Center.
- Develop effective relationships with EVS and Transport staff to support efforts to enhance patient flow and bed management.
- Ensures that the desired clinical outcomes are achieved through cost effective and efficient processes.
- Achieve seamless delivery of services by appropriately involving colleagues, physicians, nurses and other staff to ensure commitment, communication and cross-functional linkage.
- Work alongside physicians and clinical leadership in the communication of clinical issues that arise related to patient placement/flow.
- Oversees clinical information systems that support bed placement to ensure accountability for operational effectiveness.
- Ensures successful and consistent execution of Hartford HealthCare and individual hospital’s policies and procedures.
- Articulates organizational vision and utilizes resources to ensure staff commitment to organization objectives.
- Provides leadership and accomplishing objectives through innovation.
- Organizational Objectives
- Implements and monitors clinically and fiscally responsive organizational philosophies, goals, and objectives to address specific issues and support throughput efforts.
- Ensures that continuous performance improvement forms a basis for efficient patient throughput.
- Ensures that all clinical services work in synergy within the organization to support efficient delivery of care.
- Communicates and ensures adherence to practices and procedures that are consistent with individual hospital and organizational policies and strategies.
- Provides vision and leadership within the organization that builds upon a collaborative environment to support ongoing throughput efforts and improvements.
- Fiscal Management
- Evaluates all throughput and bed resource utilization for potential implementation of cost effective changes.
- Reviews urgency of transfer activity to each individual hospital related to pending insurance authorization processes.
- In conjunction with hospital leadership, develops, implements, and monitors systems to ensure cost effective quality decisions are being made.
- Clinical Resource
- Engages clinical management to assist with clinical consultation in relation to patient needs related to bed management processes.
- Triages clinical needs of patients related to bed availability to assure the appropriate resources are utilized to support bed management activities.
- Collaborates with clinical management in the identification of patient needs related to changes in clinical condition, emergent transfers and trauma calls associated with bed management activities/placement efforts.
- Effectively maintains point of clinical contact with outside referral sources to secure clinical information regarding pending transfer activity and resultant patient placement needs.
- Organizational Leadership
- Collaborates with clinical leadership and management to define, reduce, and eliminate barriers within the system which may negatively effect patient throughput/efficient delivery of care.
- Participates in the identification and implementation of strategic efforts to support patient throughput by influencing unit management and championing projects.
- Supports unit/department management in the facilitation of inter-and-intra unit problem resolution.
- Promotes the organization to all customers by interpreting and communicating Hartford HealthCare’s mission and values, acting as a loyal, supportive, and informed spokesperson for the organization.
- Actively participates in and contributes to meetings and organizational initiatives with hospital and organizational leadership.
- Provides valid, timely and effective feedback to unit/department leadership as to the management performance related to patient throughput.
- Collaborates with senior leadership in regard to issues related to off shift activity and patient placement/bed availability.
- Customer Satisfaction
- Ensures the smooth functioning of the bed management process in order to reduce wait times and avoid unnecessary movement of patients.
- Ensures the confidentiality of appropriate patient, staff and management data is maintained.
- Models customer service standards and demonstrates value for all people in the work environment.
- Effectively models and upholds a customer service orientation with staff to meet the legitimate needs of all internal and external customers.
- In collaboration with management, ensures that customer relations standards reflecting excellence consistent with organizational policy for internal./external customers are appropriately met.
- In conjunction with hospital/organizational leadership, establishes and manages a system to measure the effectiveness of issues that impact patient throughput.
- Resource Management
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of all applicable computer systems that will affect and support bed placement and transfer activities.
- Demonstrates a strong ability to multitask by utilizing multiple computer systems.
Education: Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing is required. Experience:
Minimum of 3 years diversified clinical experience, preferably intensive care/emergency department nursing with a minimum of 2 years of clinical experience strongly recommended and preferred. Licensure, Certification, Registration:
Current CT RN Nursing licenseKnowledge, Skills and Ability Requirements:
We take great care of careers.
- Demonstrated ability to direct and triage in a highly fluid dynamic operational environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and assess and triage clinical critical patient needs.
- Excellent prioritization and communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellence in critical thinking, communications and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to implement, support and effectively monitor change required.
- Ability to collaborate with all layers of the management/administrative teams within Hartford HealthCare.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.