Description Job Schedule:
Part Time Standard Hours:
19 Job Shift:
Shift 2 Shift Details:
Thursday & Friday 5pm – 11pm and every other weekend
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
The creation of the HHC System Support Office recognizes the work of a large and growing group of employees whose responsibilities are continually evolving so that we and our departments now work on behalf of the system as a whole, rather than a single member organization.
With the creation of our new umbrella organization we now have our own identity with a unique payroll, benefits, performance management system, service recognition programs and other common practices across the system.
Patient Access Services (PAS) Registrars are the patient’s first point of contact for seeking service at HHC facilities. This position is accountable for meeting and greeting visitor/patient needs by assessing and communicating points of intervention including providing interpretation for patients experiencing language barriers. There are three (3) PAS Registrar levels defined that align with years of relative experience, applicable knowledge, and proficiency scope. Financial responsibilities include obtaining patient personal information via registration/admissions, verification, and collection of co-payments, providing deductibles and estimate prices for procedures and ensuring proper payment for services rendered including third party payers. PAS Registrars ensures department and hospital financial goals are achieved through demonstrating critical decision making, analyzing insurance eligibility, analyzing payer conflicts, and ensuring authorization is on file. PAS Registrars are responsible for practicing sound decision making as it relates to patient privacy and safety standards. Patient Access is committed to anticipating the needs of patients and exceeding patient expectations; as well as, preparing patient charts, meeting daily, weekly and monthly productivity standards in addition to directing visitors and other receptionist duties. This position is an entry level position that requires minimal healthcare experience however, is customer service-focused. This job level requires comprehension of essential job responsibilities and continuous training to remain proficient with front end enhancements to the registration process.
Exhibits excellent communication and customer service skills at all times
- Greets patients and visitors in a professional prompt, courteous and helpful manner as soon as possible whether in person or via phone.
- Problem solving skills
- Demonstrate patience and understanding
- Serve as first/initial point of contact for incoming calls related to patient’s privacy and services. Documentation of individualized visit with patient at time of service.
- Ability to communicate clearly, calmly and diplomatically with customers, co-workers, and visitors.
- Utilize listening and comprehensive skills.
- Develop organizational skills, flexibility and time management skills and practices to accomplish daily tasking
- Assesses, analyzes and effectively uses decision making skills to resolve customer complaints and deescalate confrontational situations.
- Practices sound decision making as it relates to patient privacy and safety standards.
- Interact with patients, caregivers, family members to serve as the intermediary.
- Assesses the need to correspond with the patient’s with health care representative or conservator to complete the registration process
- Obtains vital demographic and insurance information necessary to verify a patient’s identity, accuracy of the ADT system, the patient’s treatment plan, and reimbursement.
- Utilizes patient identifiers to correctly select patient medical record, obtain accurate demographic and financial data.
- Provide safe and accurate documentation to start the patient encounter for clinical and revenue cycle teams.
- Utilizes various on-line eligibility products and/or calling payor or patient for accurate billing information.
- Assesses the need to refer self-pay patients to Financial Counselor.
- Verifies and collects patient financial liability due at time of service to increase financial stability for the organization.
- Scan all medical record documents, insurance cards and patient identification into ADT system according to established procedures.
- Meets productivity standards on a daily, weekly and monthly basis
- Receptive to feedback on quality and productivity standards
Training and Development
- Continuous education on identifying critical symptoms such as stroke, heart attack, suicidal, homicidal and any other life threatening conditions on arrival.
- Completes HealthStream learnings as required.
- Complete initial 6 months of training for comprehension of essential job responsibilities and continuous training to remain proficient with front end enhancements to the registration process.
Develop proficiencies in other areas of registration in order to provide additional support and coverage
Adheres to registration downtime procedures.
- Creates downtime labels and wristbands using Microsoft word
- Photocopies insurance cards and patient photo ID’s.
- Handwrites pre-made downtime charts
- Inputs all downtime charts into computer accurately, efficiently and as
soon as possible
Performs other duties as directed and or required.
- Perform other duties as directed/required within the department and at an organizational level.
- Regularly assists/supports coworkers in every aspect of their duties.
PAS Registrar Levels:
PAS Registrar Level I
- Exhibits excellent customer service skills at all times
- Utilizes various on-line eligibility products and/or calling payor or patient for accurate billing information
- Continuously improves own performance through HealthStream training & coaching, assesses and responds to feedback provided through the quality monitoring tool and productivity reporting
- Meets performance standards and metric goals
- Follows up on registrations with a high level of accuracy through the usage of work queues.
- Knowledge and understanding of coordination of benefits
- Attention to detail, multi-tasking and adaptive to change
- Self-motivation, high-energy, tenacity
- Meets performance standards and metric goals.
Requirements and Specifications:
Education: High School Diploma/GED equivalent
Experience: 6 months
- Minimum- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Preferred- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability Requirements:
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of insurance terminology and benefit processing.
- Attention to detail, multi-tasking, analytical skills and adaptive to change
- Strong complex problem-solving skills and the ability to make decisions under supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills, flexibility and ability to switch tasks frequently.
- Self-motivated, high-energy, tenacity.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.