Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Full Time
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
Join us at Backus Hospital as we live our values every day. As part of Hartford HealthCare we create a better future for healthcare in Connecticut and beyond. By embodying these values we have become nationally respected for patient care and most trusted for personalized coordinated care. Come be part of something special!
For more than 118 years, Backus Hospital has been the primary source of healthcare services for much of Eastern Connecticut. We are home to the only trauma center in New London and Windham counties, and are the only area hospital with LIFE STAR helicopter services. We deliver and coordinate a continuum of high-quality healthcare with the goal of improving the health of our communities.
Supervise day-today activities of assigned staff and provides clinical expertise in all aspects of Respiratory Care with focus on promoting growth and development of health care team members, enhancing quality, cost-effective care and promoting interdisciplinary collaboration to achieve patient, health care team, department and organizational goals.
Education: Baccalaureate degree required; Master of Science preferred.
Experience: Requires: 3-5 years of experience working as RRT and advanced knowledge obtained through additional training and certifications.
Licensure, Certification, Registration
• Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) granted by The National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC)
• Valid State of Connecticut Respiratory Care Practitioner license
• Active member of the American Association of Respiratory Care
• Current Basic Cardiac Life Support Certification (BLS)
• Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification (ACLS)
• Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification preferred
• Asthma Educator Certification (AE-C) preferred
• Pulmonary Disease Educator certification preferred
• Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor certification preferred
Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) Specialist preferred
• Speaking: talking to others to convey information effectively.
• Reading comprehension: understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents
• Writing: communicating effectively in writing
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Requirements
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
• Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
• Active listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
• Critical Thinking — using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Monitoring — Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
• Active Learning — Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
• Social Perceptiveness — Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
• Complex Problem Solving — identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Coordination — adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
• Instructing — Teaching others how to do something.
• Learning Strategies — Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
• Time Management — managing one's own time and the time of others.
• Management of Personnel Resources — Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
• Negotiation — bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
• Operation and Control — controlling operations of equipment or systems.
• Persuasion — persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
• Systems Analysis — Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
• Systems Evaluation — Identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.
• Equipment Selection — determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
• Troubleshooting — determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
• Problem Sensitivity — the ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem
• Inductive Reasoning — the ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
• Oral Expression — the ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.