Description Job Schedule:
Part Time Standard Hours:
24 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
Evening coverage may be warranted based on clinical need.
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
Charlotte Hungerford Hospital is a 122-bed, general acute care community hospital located in Torrington, Connecticut, that serves as a regional health care resource for the 100,000 residents of Litchfield County and Northwest Connecticut. CHH offers personalized attention from an expert team of caregivers and physicians that utilize advanced technology and clinical partnerships in a convenient, safe and comfortable patient environment.
The incumbents of this position, under direct supervision of a registered nurse, are responsible for performing specified tasks related to the care and well being of psychiatric patients. These responsibilities may include but are not limited to: processing the initial phase of a patient’s admission; assessing, intervening and documenting on a specific group of patients; providing educational groups; assisting in daily living activities. Responsible for ensuring customer satisfaction (patient, family, physicians, others), maintaining patient confidentiality and being sensitive to the age specific patient needs for comfort, privacy, and generalized care. Incumbents of this position will annually complete the attached competency requirements specific to this area of responsibility.
- Participates in the admission of a patient by completing psychiatric technician checklist, which includes vital signs, height/weight, and safety check of person and belongings, and valuables identification/login. Completion of these tasks requires the incumbent(s) to interface with patients, family, other involved parties, and employees of the hospital. In performing these duties and responsibilities, effective customer service and public relations and the protection of confidential information are of the highest importance. Maintains health professional boundaries with patients at all times. Organizational skills and work prioritization provide prompt and efficient service.
- Recognizes psychiatric symptoms related to diagnosis/presentation. Responsible for performing a number of routine functions related to the care and well-being of the patients, including but not limited to, ambulating patients, assisting patients with daily living activities such as feeding, dressing, cleaning and grooming, answering call bells and reporting information on patient functioning status to nursing staff.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate reporting and appropriate documentation of relevant patient information. This includes immediate notification of unexpected patient changes to appropriate nursing staff for interpretation and reporting of any high risk behavior indicators. Provides patient observation functions assigned.
- Prepares and presents educational groups to unit patients as assigned by Registered Nurse, Activities Therapist, or unit Social Worker.
- Utilizing Non-violent crisis intervention skills training provided by the hospital, participates in responding to PERT Codes following the guidelines in the hospital PERT policy located in the hospital administrative policy manual. This may include the application of restraints under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
- Performs routine clerical functions for assigned Business Unit related to pre-admissions, admissions, discharges, transfers and death. Additionally, as assigned, performs other clerical and receptionist functions such as answering telephones, routing callers to appropriate locations, taking messages, receiving visitors and providing routine information to callers within defined limits. Additionally, the incumbent will prepare and maintain patient charts, confirm procedures with both patients and physician offices, call for dietary needs of patients and monitor, clean, and restock supplies as needed.
- Complies with hospital policies and procedures related to safety, infection control, attendance, sexual harassment, dress code, corporate compliance, confidentiality and others.
- Attends all required in-service programs and completes mandatory education programs in a timely fashion. Perform other related functions within the scope of responsibilities.
- Follows the hospital exposure control plans/blood borne and airborne pathogens
- Displays and upholds CHH core values of dignity, compassion, service excellence, community and integrity. Consistently demonstrates caring for patients, for one another, and for the organization they are part of, and contributes to building trust, pride and camaraderie.
- Associate degree in Human Services field with 1-3 years' experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Psychology or related field.
- Extensive experience working with individuals in recovery from chronic mental illness may be considered in lieu of formal education.
- One or more years working in the field of behavioral health and/or a psychiatric inpatient or residential setting.
As a Hartford HealthCare entity, Charlotte Hungerford provides eligible employees with an extensive benefits package and all the benefits of working in a small town/semi-rural setting:
- Medical and dental benefits
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Generous paid time off with accrual starting on the date of hire, including six paid holidays
- Additional voluntary benefits as well as employee discount programs
- Stress free commute; Free parking / no shuttles
- Staff kitchen
- Individual offices for full time clinicians
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.