Charlotte Hungerford Hospital
Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Per Diem
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, almost 30,000 Hartford HealthCare employees come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
Charlotte Hungerford Hospital is a 122-bed, general acute care community hospital located in Torrington, Connecticut, that serves as a regional health care resource for the 100,000 residents of Litchfield County and Northwest Connecticut. CHH offers personalized attention from an expert team of caregivers and physicians that utilize advanced technology and clinical partnerships in a convenient, safe and comfortable patient environment.
Summary of Responsibilities
Independently evaluates, determines treatment strategies and provides direct or indirect services that identify, restore and rehabilitate disorders of communication, cognition and swallowing to maximize a patient’s safety and independence.
Key Job Requirements
1. Performs evaluations of : oral-motor strength/agility, motor speech, voice, deglutition, auditory comprehension, reading comprehension, verbal expression, written expression, memory, problem solving and attention when referred by a physician. Recognizes physiological, psychological, and age-related changes in the patient and consults with other Health Care Team members. Establishes measurable short- and long-term goals with the patient and family, based on appropriate patient care protocols in order to meet patient needs.
2. Plans, implements, delivers, and delegates patient care by utilizing appropriate interventions and age-specific interventions and treatments through selected activities and exercises, revising treatment when needed, instructing patient/family through verbal, written and audiovisual materials as appropriate. Participates in discharge planning including recommendations to community resources to meet patient needs throughout the continuum of care.
3. Coordinates management of self and support personnel by organizing schedules to meet patient care needs, carrying a patient load that reflects standards of the service area and collaborating with team members for assistance and coverage when needed to meet patient outcomes and departmental goals and standards. Supervises graduate students in speech pathology internships.
4. Documents all patient and professional interactions such as evaluations, assessments, progress toward goals, statistical reports, home exercises programs, recommendations and discharge summaries to maintain continuity of patient care for departmental standards, outside regulatory and insurance agencies.
5. Communicates understanding both verbally and non-verbally to patients and families, health care team members, supervisors, and students in an appropriate manner to enhance positive relationships both internally and externally. Demonstrates professionalism in all interactions to promote the needs of the patients and the institutions they represent.
6. Educates staff and students, formally or informally, to enhance their ability to provide patient care.
7. Demonstrates competencies, including knowledge and behaviors, to meet age-specific patient needs.
8. Models quality patient/customer service by: demonstrating a willingness to serve all customers at all times, maintaining an awareness of patient/customer needs and responding to those needs, maintaining confidentiality of all patient information, and functioning in a collaborative manner with other care-givers to ensure quality patient care.
9. Participates in community and marketing activities. Develops effective relationships with physicians and staff.
10. Maintains cleanliness of work environment.
11. Other duties as assigned.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.