Description Job Schedule:
Full Time Standard Hours:
40 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, almost 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
St. Vincent’s Medical Center, with more than 3,200 colleagues, is a 473-bed community teaching hospital having a 76-bed inpatient psychiatric facility in Westport, a large multispecialty provider group and St. Vincent’s Special Needs Services. St. Vincent's Medical Center is committed to exceptional health care for all with special attention to persons living in poverty and those who are most vulnerable. St. Vincent’s is the first hospital in Fairfield County to be integrated into the Hartford HealthCare network, and is the system’s second-largest hospital.
The Director of Laboratory Services is responsible for the overall operations, leadership and administration of St. Vincent’s Medical Center’s laboratory assuring it is in compliance with Federal (CLIA) and State regulatory requirements and accreditation standards such as Joint Commission and American College of Pathologists. The Director will utilize a quality system approach focusing on providing accurate, reliable and timely test services.
- Develops policies and procedures which are customer, patient, client and staff centric; plans and implements services which efficiently utilizes resources within budgetary constraints while supporting the commitment to high quality patient care
- Leads and directs the development and communication of effective growth strategies and processes, manages changes or shifts in organization from current state to future state in a manner that minimizes resistance and maximizes engagement
- Collaborates with external workgroups and consults with peers and colleagues to define laboratory standards and translates them into useable applications and/or care patterns. Through negotiation with peers and colleagues develops mutually workable solutions in order to ensure consistency and continuity of functional application across the organization and systems
- Proactively addresses and provide solutions for physician issues. Collaborates with Pathology and Medical Directors as a dyad partnership to deliver quality laboratory services
- Reviews and evaluate the laboratory’s quality assessment plan, indicators and monitor. Ensures that the physical and environmental conditions of the laboratory are adequate and appropriate for the testing performed, protect the integrity of the specimen and the laboratory personnel while delivering high quality test results in a timely manner
- Develops a department budget which seeks ways to control or lower cost while achieving overall quality and service goals. Establishes operational standards for cost control and works collaborative with Revenue cycle to ensure accurate billing processes
- Ensures adequate staffing, and all staff competencies are current by means of valid certification or competency reviews. Serves as a role model to staff by continuously demonstrating Hartford HealthCare core values, creating employee ownership for their careers and success, and providing staff with positive and actionable feedback
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology, Chemical, Physical, or Biological Science is required
- Six plus years of progressive operations experience in a clinical laboratory environment is required
- Three plus years clinical laboratory management experience is required
- ASCP certification or meeting criteria for certification is required. MT(ASCP) is preferred
- Detail oriented, reliable and able to multi-task in a fast-paced, high-volume work environment
- Strong leadership and communication skills, with the ability to build relationships with peers and leadership
- Demonstrated ability to bring exceptional business acumen and creativity to the management of the lab
- Demonstrated ability to function as a strong member of highly motivated and integrated leadership and operations teams
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, and lead a high performing team and build and maintain a positive and energetic culture within an organization
- Effective verbal and written communications skills; strong presentation skills
- Expert level knowledge of Laboratory services operations
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to manage for results
- Demonstrated ability to develop short and long term operational and strategic plans
- Knowledge of Sunquest and EPIC is a plus, but not required
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.