Charlotte Hungerford Hospital
Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Per Diem
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
Charlotte Hungerford Hospital is a 122-bed, general acute care community hospital located in Torrington, Connecticut, that serves as a regional health care resource for the 100,000 residents of Litchfield County and Northwest Connecticut. CHH offers personalized attention from an expert team of caregivers and physicians that utilize advanced technology and clinical partnerships in a convenient, safe and comfortable patient environment.
We’re seeking a talented and caring Office Assistant for our outpatient team in Torrington and Winsted. This is a great opportunity to work with a diverse patient population, in a large office, that offers a wonderful team atmosphere with experienced clinicians. Specialties in this office include LSVT, vestibular and lymphedema treatment.
According to Department policies, procedures, guidelines and protocols, performs various duties including patient registration and scheduling, insurance authorizations, physician correspondence, charge entry, patient chart monitoring, answering phones, and handling phone messages. The position requires the ability to multi-task, identify priorities, and problem solving independently. The individual in this position must be poised and mature with the ability to interact and assist individuals at all levels of this and other institutions. Excellent customer service skills are required.
• Performs the daily clerical and administrative tasks necessary to maintaining an efficient office which serves patients, staff, and visitors to the office.
• Develops and maintains sufficient understanding of medical conditions, surgical procedures so as to accurately, appropriately and independently schedule patient visits.
• Assures compliance with regulatory requirements, assists with Quality Improvement activity reporting as required. .
• Communicates with patients and family members about office concenrs through direct interactions and telephone inquiries. Seeks guidance when appropriate. Demonstrates the poise, clarity, common sense and compassion necessary to effectively communicate information to individuals who, frequently, are in stressful circumstances.
• Interacts with therapists and office staff to assure a professional and competent environment.
• Exercises decision–making judgment in seeking clinical staff assistance in emergency care situations and effectively communicating patients’ concerns.
• Performs all patient–related activities for therapists and manager, including:
• Accurate and appropriate handling of therapist’s and manager’s correspondence including assistance with form completion, effective communication with manager about patient and office issues.
• Provides troubleshooting for office equipment.
• Performs scheduling and registration.
• Assures completion of pre- registration of patients. Assists with registration and scheduling ensuring complete and accurate information, including: health insurance, referral information., all relevant records, enrollments or authorization numbers, personal demographics, services provided and fees.
• Tracks and follows–up on missing administrative and/or clinical information in a timely manner.
• Develops and continually updates thorough knowledge of 3rd party regulations.
• Works collaboratively with staff to ensure that proper procedures have been utilized and adequate documentation maintained. Failure to abide by regulations will result in denial of payment.
• Develops and maintains office systems which:
• Supports the need to meet constant and shifting deadlines for individual patient care.
• Allows for frequent major scheduling revisions in an efficient manner.
• Is organized, up–to–date and allows easy access by many individuals.
• Assists with the filing of patient charts, assuring timely and accurate completion and establishes an organized filing system to facilitate retrieval of information.
• Communicates effectively assuring timely distribution of mail, memos and messages.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Works as a team member with all other staff in the office to ensure smooth operations and adequate coverage.
• Attends all required Safety Training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, specific job related hazards.
• All required safety education programs have been attended.
• Provides complete and accurate responses to safety questions.
• Operates assigned equipment and performs all procedures in a safe manner as instructed.
• Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by department standards.
• Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions.
• Follows the Hospital Exposure Control Plans/Bloodborne and Airborne Pathogens.
• Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, procedures and correct use of protective barrier equipment.
• Assures a safe environment by instituting appropriate control measures.
• Attends annual education programs.
• Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible and courteous environment.
• Interacts with all of the above in a considerate, helpful and courteous manner as observed by Manager and peers.
• Fosters mature professional relationships with fellow employees in a courteous, friendly manner as measured by management observation and peer input.
• Maintains professional composure and confidence during stressful situations.
• Maintains open communication using appropriate chain of command regarding issues.
• Conducts all work activities with respect for rights and wishes of patients, visitors, families and fellow employees.
• Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management.
• Presents neat appearance in proper attire and identification as required by the position, department, and Corporation policy.
• Continuously displays a "can do" attitude within the department and across departmental lines to contribute to the overall customer service program in place within the Hospital
• Demonstrates adherence to discipline code of ethics.
• Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department team inter and intra departmentally to facilitate the department's ability to meet its goals and objectives.
• Participates in staff meetings as determined by Manager.
• Supports the Hospital's mission, policies and procedures through attendance and participation at committee meetings, if applicable.
• Utilizes automated system to communicate inter and intra departmentally, as appropriate.
• Demonstrates willingness to assume responsibilities beyond direct patient care tasks.
• Acts as a professional role model.
• Identifies and utilizes opportunities to benefit the center.
• Effectively and confidently communicates in all professional situations.
• Participates in a positive supervision relationship by independently bringing issues to supervisor, being receptive to constructive input and working cooperatively toward goals.
• Practices in a manner which facilitates a team philosophy.
• Completes work assignments on time/readily accepts assignments as observed by Manager.
• Reports to work on time and is at work as scheduled, as observed by Manager.
• Displays and upholds CHH core values of dignity, compassion, service excellence, community and integrity. Consistently demonstrates caring for patients, for one another, and for the organization they are part of, and contributes to building trust, pride and camaraderie.
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• Three to five years medical office experienced preferred.
Job Knowledge, Skill Requirements, Desired Attributes
Handles multiple priorities, independent discretion/decision making, manages stress appropriately, works alone effectively, works in close proximity to others and/or in a distracting environment, works with others effectively. Attends all mandatory education programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety and regulatory compliance. Attends all required department-specific education and training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to department safety and specific job related hazards. Follows the hospital exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens. Attire is professional, neat, clean, and appropriate for the work environment. Wears proper identification while on duty. Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times, as observed by peers and management. Reports to work on time and meets acceptable standard for attendance. Attends a minimum of two staff meetings, reads minutes for all staff meetings, and participates in committees as required. Computer aptitude.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.