Description Job Schedule:
Per Diem Standard Hours:
1 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
Position Summary: In collaboration with a physician, responsible for providing skilled nursing care to patients in a variety of clinical settings, and facilitating clinical management of patients by collaborating with attending surgeons, clinical nurses and other members of health care team. Scope of responsibility is characterized by use of nursing process to assess, plan, intervene and evaluate human responses to actual or potential surgical problems utilizing appropriate practices, standards, protocols and guidelines.
This position reports jointly to the Physician POD Lead and Director of Clinical Operations.
- Provides direct patient care in hospital and in office consultations, including assessment, work-ups, triage, emergency work-ins, and other patient care activities. Obtains and documents health history, performs and documents physical exam, and orders and interprets diagnostic tests. Serves as physician extender for in-house patient population at Hartford HealthCare, and assists physician during surgery.
- Provides counseling to patients regarding diagnosis and expected course of treatment. Collaborates with physicians to provide appropriate direct care interventions within scope of practice. Uses sound clinical judgment based in best practice standards and evidenced based medicine. Prescribes pharmaceuticals according to patient needs. Ensures timely retrieval of laboratory and ancillary studies and diagnostic consultation reports.
- Consults with appropriate internal and external staff to make appropriate referrals for acute, chronic and preventive care. Coordinates patient care and visits with appropriate clinical and non-clinical staff. Documents patient health care files and completes appropriate forms according to HHCMG policies and procedures, including data collection and assessment plan based on patient needs and health care status. Collects, organizes, records, and discusses data as appropriate.
- Carries out nursing intervention according to established plan of care and adapts actions based on changes in patients' needs. Conducts appropriate patient follow-up and outreach. Counsels patients and their families with concern and empathy; respects confidentiality and privacy. Initiates call-backs within 8 hours for urgent care; within 24 hours for triage messages.
- Demonstrates commitment to ongoing education and improvement as evidenced by documentation of attendance at conferences, in-services, seminars, and committee meeting. Maintains active involvement with HHCMG’s Mid-level Provider Council. Contributes to the development of clinical policies, standardized procedures, and clinical pathways. Performs other related duties in support of efficient department operations and superior patient care.
Qualifications/Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
Masters Degree in Nursing.
National Certification in Advanced Practice.
Current State of CT APRN license with prescriptive authority and current DEA number. 100% attendance to maintain annual mandatory skill updates.
Current CPR certification.
2 years experience in general surgery/colorectal surgery, ambulatory surgery or acute care setting for surgical care.
Excellent clinical management skills.
Positive, customer-focused approach, with commitment to providing excellent patient care.
Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and take lead when appropriate.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate in other languages highly desirable.
Ability to communicate technical information clearly to patients of all ages.
Highly organized with demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize competing tasks with full autonomy.
Knowledge of computer systems, including experience with medical software (IDX preferred).
- Adheres to HHCMG policies and standards of service.
- Adheres to OSHA regulations and Infection Control standards.
- Communicates tactfully and effectively.
- Demonstrates a commitment to superior patient care.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships.
- Maintains a positive, achievement-oriented attitude and influences others to do the same.
- Displays courtesy and helpfulness when interacting with all internal and external customers.
- Proactively takes action to achieve goals beyond what is required or assigned.
- Supports new ideas and exercises flexibility as changes are initiated.
- Adheres to HIPPA requirements.
- Promotes a team atmosphere of trust and professionalism.
- Exhibits strong personal initiative and the demonstrated ability to take ownership over work results.
- Completes requisite Risk Management training activities as required.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
Requires manual dexterity and ability to perform repetitive motion entering and manipulating computer data.
Requires visual acuity to work extended periods of time at a computer.
Requires ability to lift and support patients up to 100 pounds independently and 200 pounds with assistance.
Requires ability to be on feet for long periods of time.
May be exposed to virus, disease and infection from patients and specimens in working environment.