Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Full Time
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
For more than 118 years, Backus Hospital has been the primary source of healthcare services for much of Eastern Connecticut. We are home to the only trauma center in New London and Windham counties, and are the only area hospital with LIFE STAR helicopter services. We deliver and coordinate a continuum of high-quality healthcare with the goal of improving the health of our communities.
In addition to our 200+ bed hospital, the Backus Health System includes numerous off-site locations, including several health centers, Backus Home Health Care and the Backus Outpatient Care Center, also in Norwich. Backus Health Centers are located in Montville, Ledyard, Colchester, Norwich, and North Stonington, and additional labs for blood draws are available throughout the region.
We’re seeking a caring and dedicated Physical Therapist (PT) for our Norwichtown office that has a passion for patient centered care.
The Norwichtown site is part of Backus Hospital’s outpatient team and is located within the Backus Family Health Center. Specialty programs include musculoskeletal disorders, sports medicine, safe steps- balance/fall prevention, headache management, bariatric rehab, vestibular, work injury rehab, McKenzie therapy, muscle energy techniques and more!
The Physical Therapist (PT) administers medically prescribed Physical Therapy treatments to patients. The Physical Therapist (PT) independently evaluates patient’s level of function, determines treatment strategies, and delivers and/or delegates Physical Therapy services that identify, prevent, remediate, and rehabilitate acute or prolonged physical dysfunction or pain.
This role encompasses evaluation skills and techniques, analysis of patients, and therapeutic application of physical and chemical agents, prescription of exercise and other procedures to maximize the patient's functional independence.
· Upon Physician referral, the Physical Therapist (PT) performs thorough examination and evaluation of patient’s level of function, including evaluations for strength, movement, motor control, joint mobility, soft tissue integrity, pain, balance, coordination, posture, cardiopulmonary function by assessing and monitoring vitals, endurance, gait and functional abilities in activities of daily living
· Establishes measurable goals with the patient/family based on appropriate patient care protocols and critical paths in order to meet patient needs.
· Implements, delivers and delegates patient care by utilizing appropriate interventions and clinical decision making including but not limited to modalities such as heat, cold, light, water, sound, electricity, mobilization and therapeutic exercise.
· Provides patient and caregiver education regarding treatment, precautions, and equipment use
· Participates in patient transition planning and/or patient discharge planning including recommendations to community resources to meet patient needs throughout the continuum of care. Help to coordinate patient care with other care providers such as MDs, Rehab Therapists, Nurses, Social Workers, and other community resources as related to care transition planning.
· Delegates patient care tasks and provide clinical supervision for Physical Therapist students, Rehabilitation Aides and Physical Therapist Assistants.
The Physical Therapist (PT) evaluates, treats and educates patients with musculoskeletal, neurological, burn/wound injuries or to patients with other acute or chronic physical disabilities through the use of physical therapy techniques to relieve pain, restore physical functioning and facilitate independence.
• Bachelor’s Degree in physical therapy required, Master’s or DPT preferred.
• CT PT license and BLS certification required.
• Open to recent graduates. One year experience in outpatient setting preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must be flexible, a team player and able to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
Works efficiently and organizes time appropriately. Ability to prioritize daily work assignments.
Ability to read and understand oral and written instructions, and effectively communicate information. Basic computer skills (including opening/reading email, basic internet use). Proficient skills in windows based software (including word processing, database, spreadsheet and presentation programs).
Working knowledge of State Practice Act and Federal Medicaid and Medicare regulations.
Problem Solving and Decision Making
Requires the ability to exercise discretion and use good judgment to perform duties promptly and consistently with little direction. Requires high level of analytical ability in order to gather and interpret information from various sources. Able to take the appropriate action in response to changes, circumstances or problems. Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.