Hartford HealthCare Corp.
Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Full Time
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, approximately 38,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
The creation of the HHC System Support Office recognizes the work of a large and growing group of employees whose responsibilities are continually evolving so that we and our departments now work on behalf of the system as a whole, rather than a single member organization.
With the creation of our new umbrella organization we now have our own identity with a unique payroll, benefits, performance management system, service recognition programs and other common practices across the system.
Hartford HealthCare (HHC) represents the next generation of integrated healthcare systems, marked by strong patient focus, heightened efficiency, consistent quality performance and open, collaborative sharing of best practices. It is dedicated to providing patients with an exceptional, coordinated care experience and a single, high standard of service. A hallmark of HHC's vision is to strengthen access to care close to home for patients by enhancing local healthcare delivery capabilities. In addition, HHC aims to create a culture and organizational structure where clinical care, education and research are supported to bring the latest technology and discoveries in clinical excellence and innovation to the patient and community. Hartford Healthcare employs over 38,000 serving over 100 towns in our primary service area, including several hospitals and numerous outpatient locations.
Hartford Healthcare’s (HHC) business technology platforms are an integral part of our digital transformation strategy. Our strategy is to establish and maintain an agile and efficient foundation that is integrated, scalable and sustainable.
As a Senior Systems Engineer of the Business Technologies Platform team, you will be responsible for contributing to the design and management of HHC’s business technologies systems, applications, policies, and strategy. These include but are not limited to M365, Exchange, Teams, SharePoint, Active Directory, ADFS, Single Sign-on, Certificates, DHCP/DNS/IPAM, and others. You will develop and modify scalable architecture to support applications and infrastructure on on-prem, IaaS and PaaS platforms. You will incorporate security management and privacy requirements into cloud hardware, software, and applications. Additionally, you will maintain up-to-date and extensive knowledge of these platforms and technologies.
In this role, you may work with stakeholders across the organization to evaluate cloud systems and identify appropriate solutions. You will provide second- and third-level support across all server system platforms, ensuring SLA's and KPI's are met for service recovery and order fulfillment. You should have a deep understanding of networking, storage, and compute; knowledgeable with both cloud-native and cloud-hosted services; and experience operating in dynamic and complex environments. As a Senior Systems Engineer, you will provide the required expertise to build and operate products with reliability and resiliency while iteratively improving service levels with automation, monitoring, and alerting tools using hybrid ecosystems and various enterprise applications.
This position reports to the Manager, Systems Engineering.
· Under the direction of the Systems Engineering Manager this Tier III senior level position focuses on design, implementation, support, and management of complex IT systems over their lifecycle.
· The Senior Engineer Level III is the final escalation point within the Technical Support Organization. Technical issues that cannot be resolved by levels 1 & 2 support staff are escalated to the Level III Senior Engineer. This role is capable of troubleshooting and resolving the most difficult and complicated issues. This position works closely with Engineers, Administrators, Field Support, Development and Service Desk.
· Part of a talented team of architects, engineers, and administrators delivering mission critical infrastructure ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance, and security.
· Fast-paced environment is largely virtualized, scalable architecture, supporting the entire enterprise consisting of over 3,000 Windows servers.
· This challenging position will present complex problems and requires a highly skilled Engineer able to operate independently as well as within a team.
· Ideal candidate will demonstrate technical leadership and subject matter expertise across several diverse competencies including networking, virtualization, storage, enterprise system solutions, and ability to translate technical product and architecture to all levels. Possess strong ability and knowledge to create strategies and plans for integration of multiple IT systems/subsystems into an operational unit, ensuring full functional and performance capabilities are retained.
· Contributes to RFPs, RFQs, RFIs, TCOs, ROIs, Best Practices, and process/procedure.
** 8+ years’ experience in relevant enterprise roles is highly desired
Desired personal traits or abilities
· Excellent communication skills with emphasis on the ability to communicate effectively through clear, concise delivery coupled with listening attentively, valuing others’ perspectives, creating open dialogue in own areas of influence, and effectively conveying technical information to non-technical personnel.
· Good writing skills with the ability to write with accuracy, simplicity, and completeness while providing an appropriate level of detail for the intended audience.
· Ability to gain the confidence and trust of others through principled business ethics, high integrity, follow-through on commitments, and adherence to procedures.
· Ability to establish relationships that enhance cooperation and collaboration.
· Ability to work in a remote team environment. Self-driven, organized and motivated to deliver results.
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively under minimal supervision.
· Ability to organize and facilitate planning and demonstrations.
· Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations.
· Ability to trouble-shoot problems of diverse scope and complexity ranging from moderate to substantial.
· Exercises independent judgment and decision-making, trouble-shooting diverse and complex issues ranging from moderate to substantial.
· Expert level knowledge of macOS and Windows operating systems.
· In-depth knowledge of various IT systems including email, identity, system monitoring, and device management
· Participates in on-call rotation
· Possess a strong attention to detail.
· Possess strong organizational, analytical, and critical-thinking skills as well as a drive for continuous improvement.
· Proficiency with recognizing, mitigating, and assessing probability of risks.
· Proficiency with Microsoft productivity applications including: Outlook, Excel, Word, Visio, PowerPoint. You should be well-versed in performing data extracts, imports, exports, merges, lookups, graphing/charting, and formatting.
· Working knowledge and Background in meeting security compliance such as HIPAA, HiTrust, ISO, and PCI
· Ability to travel occasionally as required. Typical travel to Farmington, CT home office quarterly.
· Work from home requirements:
· A minimum standard speed for optimal performance of 25x10 (25mpbs download x 10mpbs upload) is required.
· Satellite and Wireless Internet service is NOT allowed for this role.
· A dedicated space lacking ongoing interruptions to protect member PHI / HIPAA information
Desired Technical Competencies
· Advanced skill level in Cloud platforms such as Microsoft M365 and Google GCP
· Extensive knowledge of Microsoft server products and applications, Active Directory, Group Policy, LDAP, ADFS, DNS, DHCP
· 2 factor authentication solutions such as Imprivata or RSA
· Load Balancing such as F5 or Netscaler
· Wireshark network packet captures and analysis
· Microsoft Exchange and Teams
· SSL and Certificates
· Powershell scripting
· Storage and fileshares including DFS, SMB, CIF
§ Knowledge of LAN, WAN and other enterprise technologies
· The escalation point for issues being escalated from Level 1 & 2 support staff
· Responsible for reproducing / confirming system defects and reporting such defects to the appropriate teams
· Provide training to Level I and II support and act as a mentor to junior support engineers.
· Provide “on-site” support to HHC customers as needed.
· Act as a back–up for Level II Senior Engineers.
· Provide after-hours coverage as part of an on-call rotation schedule for SLA support as needed.
· Work continuously to increase Level II Engineer knowledge by reviewing escalated cases on a weekly basis.
· Create technical bulletins to serve as a job aid and expand the knowledge base for handling support issues.
· Ensure that all actions pertaining to issues escalated from Level I or II Support are documented in the ticketing system.
· Ensure that all Engineers are informed and current of all enhancements/ latest releases and sharing that information with the organization.
· Promotion of shared infrastructure and applications to reduce costs and improve information flows. Ensure that projects do not duplicate functionality or diverge from each other and business and IT strategies.
· Build employee knowledge and skills in specific areas of expertise
· The Systems Engineer will be an active member of the IT Change Advisory Board, the IT Configuration Control Board, and the IT Incident Review Board.
Other job duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree preferred and a minimum of 5 years’ experience
· Microsoft MCSE, M365 certifications preferred
· Google GCP certifications preferred
· 3+ years creating API's/IaC/Scripting to interconnect various applications and build workflows to provide efficient user lifecycle management preferred
· Excellent written communication and verbal skills, as well as strong listening skills.
· Must speak fluent English
· Participate in weekly 24/7 on-call rotation
· Ability to work off-hours as needed to support new and existing applications across multiple HealthCare facilities.
· Ability to travel as required
• Healthcare experience preferred
· Attends all mandatory education and training programs (including department specific) and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety and regulatory compliance as well as department safety and specific job-related hazards.
· Maintains all required CEUs for certifications and licensure.
· Follows the hospital exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens.
· Attire is professional, neat, clean, and appropriate for the work environment, according to the HHC and/or Department Appearance Policy and a high standard of personal cleanliness is maintained.
· Reports to work on time and meets acceptable standard for attendance, based upon the department attendance policy.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.