Description Job Schedule:
Full Time Standard Hours:
40 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
St. Vincent’s Medical Center, with more than 3,200 associates, is a 473-bed community teaching hospital including a 76-bed inpatient psychiatric facility in Westport, a large multispecialty provider group and St. Vincent’s Special Needs Services. St. Vincent's Medical Center is committed to exceptional health care for all with special attention to persons living in poverty and those who are most vulnerable. St. Vincent’s has been a Magnet designated organization since 2012. It is the first hospital in Fairfield County to be integrated into the Hartford HealthCare network, and is the system’s second largest hospital.
The Director of Nursing Professional Development & Practice Excellence is responsible for the operational needs and facilitation of competency management, clinical nursing education, professional role development, policy standardization, collaborative partnerships, scientific inquiry, and onboarding/orientation of new colleagues within St. Vincent’s Medical Center. The Director, working collaboratively with the Vice President of Patient Care Services for St. Vincent’s Medical Center the System Vice President for Nursing Professional Development and Practice Excellence, will ensure the alignment of the regional nursing professional development and nursing practice with the system as a whole.
- Leads a team of Nursing Professional Development practitioners in the monitoring, planning, implementation, and evaluation of regional/system trends and practices that are in alignment with the system’s strategic plan to impact the organization and patient care outcomes
- Supports the coordination, development, and system standardization of transition to practice, orientation, professional development programs, and clinical education initiatives
- Facilitates development and sustainability of professional governance and elevation of nursing practice. Supports the integration of best practices and system standardization of nursing policy and procedures
- Uses critical thinking and analytical skills, including the integration of the best available into practice and generating new knowledge through scientific inquiry and research
- Assists in the analysis and interpretation of the National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators (NDNQI) for patient outcomes and nurse satisfaction and fostering of interdisciplinary, collaborative relationships within nursing services
- Coordinates the compilation of the annual nursing report
- Bachelor’s and Master's degrees are required. At least one degree must be in Nursing
- Current license in good standing to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Connecticut
- Two plus years of progressive leadership experience in nursing professional development is required
- Five plus years of experience as an acute care Registered Nurse is required
- Nursing Professional Development certification is preferred
- Highly effective analytical, organizational, problem-solving and census-building skills
- Excellent leadership skills. Visible leader with proven ability to coach, mentor and influence
- Demonstrated knowledge of clinical integration and evidence-based practice and standard of care.
- Working knowledge of Federal, State, regulatory, and professional requirements in quality assessment, performance improvement methodologies, and hospital medical staff structure and hospital systems is preferred
- Knowledge of statistics, data collection, analysis, and data presentation
- Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills required for effective and creative leadership in working with all levels of the organization including physicians, committees, senior management, and trustees as well as patients and their families
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced working environment; and resilient to changing environments and priorities
- Strong communications skills required - both written and verbal
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.