Description Job Schedule:
Per Diem Standard Hours:
1 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
evening or weekend hours may be required
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
The creation of the HHC System Support Office recognizes the work of a large and growing group of employees whose responsibilities are continually evolving so that we and our departments now work on behalf of the system as a whole, rather than a single member organization.
With the creation of our new umbrella organization we now have our own identity with a unique payroll, benefits, performance management system, service recognition programs and other common practices across the system.
The Risk Adjustment Coder Educator develops and implements an enterprise-wide risk adjustment coding and documentation education program to support documentation practices among contracted providers that comply with CMS risk adjustment program requirements and ICD 10 coding guidelines. The Risk Adjustment Coder Educator will serve as a training resource for Risk Adjustment department staff and associated departments.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Oversees the development of complex and advanced ICD-10 and Hierarchical Condition Category (HCC) coding and documentation training programs including defining training objectives, developing training materials and tools
- Implements documentation and coding training programs for Medicare Advantage contracted providers. Presents coding and documentation education in a variety of settings
- Identify process improvements to capture data for Medicare Risk Adjustment
- Builds relationships, programs, and processes alongside providers that will result in more accurate documentation and coding of diagnoses
- Develops strategies to support knowledge transfer and testing to determine outcome and success of training
- Provides individualized education to physicians and tracks performance over time
- Creates “train the trainer guides” and participant materials
- Demonstrate a face to face communication style and address issues as they arise
- Support the team’s success by providing necessary resources and breaking down barriers
- Provide necessary resources and helps to remove obstacles while demonstrating personal commitment to the group
Requirements and Specifications:
- Minimum: Bachelors degree or equivalent work experience
- Preferred: Bachelors or Associate’s degree
- Minimum: Minimum of 3-5 years in medical claims coding required
- Experience working with CMS, health insurers and
- medical providers strongly desired.
- Experience with the nuances of diagnosis coding
- and risk adjustment programs preferred
- Progressively responsible role with leadership
- experience and previous experience working in an
- educational/training role preferred.
Licensure, Certification, Registration
- Minimum: Medical Coding Certification, Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Coding Specialist – Physician (CCS-P) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- Preferred: Certified Risk Adjustment Coder (CRC) preferred (required within 6 months of hire)
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Requirements:
- Commitment to maintain complete confidentiality of patient health information
- Will require on site auditing and training
- Reliable transportation, insurance, and a valid driver's license
- Must be able to excel in a fast paced business environment handling multiple priorities. Must be highly effective in both written and oral communication
- Must be able to exercise appropriate judgment when making decisions
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.