Description Job Schedule:
Full Time Standard Hours:
40 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
Monday - Friday
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
Join us at MidState Medical Center as we live our values every day. As part of Hartford HealthCare we create a better future for healthcare in Connecticut and beyond. By embodying these values we have become nationally respected for patient care and most trusted for personalized coordinated care. Come be part of something special!
Serving our community since 1998, MidState Medical Center is a vibrant and progressive organization with a genuine concern for our patients, community, and employee’s alike. We’ve earned top honors for quality stroke care, gold level recognition for organ donation, and employing leaders in the field of cardiovascular and pulmonary rehabilitation, providing the highest quality level of care.
The Orthopaedic Navigator serves as a patient advocate, liaison, and advisor/educator to guide patients throughout the continuum of care for their surgical experience beginning in the pre-operative phase up to a full year post-operative to mitigate risks and promote positive outcomes. This position uses a consultative approach, building relationships with patients, families and the internal clinical team to improve patient outcomes, satisfaction and transitions through the continuum of care.
- Serves as a liaison between patient and clinical staff, administration, physicians, managed care companies, and community/external resources to coordinate/maximize resources and identify/resolve barriers to the plan of care. Collaborates with patient and multidisciplinary team members in acute, post-acute and outpatient settings to identify needs such as home health care, DME, rehab therapy and community services. Applies specialized orthopaedic experience to work with RNs, PAs, PT/OT, and physicians to assist in developing and guiding clinical plan of care and revises as needed throughout the continuum of care to remove barriers in treatment plans.
- Uses specialized expertise and knowledge to develop learning and instructional materials and provide education related to planning, process and care/recovery to patients and families. Conducts pre-op classes across a variety of delivery channels (in person and virtual), while functioning as an educational resource throughout the continuum of care. Sets expectations of care with patients and families while improving health care literacy. Engages in public speaking to promote patient and community education.
- Performs patient pre-op and post-op calls at pre-determined intervals, and as needed in response to patient status or triggers from online patient platforms. Facilitates response with necessary team members to resolve patient concerns or issues. Triages concerns reported by patients including making recommendations to patients based on orthopaedic clinical practice guidelines and within scope of practice. Escalates to, and collaborates with surgeons/PAs as needed. Facilitates appropriate clinical interventions throughout the perioperative process; pre-op for medical optimization, peri-op for best outcomes and post-op for successful recovery. Guides patient by coordinating care to promote optimal patient outcomes and reduce hospital readmissions. Advocates for patients as a single point of contact for care to staff and physicians. Acts as the practice perioperative care expert to drive change in interdisciplinary clinical practice to ensure program guidelines are utilizing best practice to provide high quality care and promote patient self-management.
- Completes daily rounds on patients to reinforce education and care plan, and discuss questions and/or concerns following surgery. Communicates needs and elevates appropriately to ensure high quality patient experience and patient outcomes.
- Participates in community education to support our Physician and Community Operations Manager.
Education Baccalaureate degree in related Healthcare profession.
- Current clinical licensure required.
- Master’s degree preferred
- Current clinical licensure required.
- 5-10 years providing direct Orthopaedic care in related health care profession such as physical therapy
- Greater than five years of experience in Orthopaedic care profession.
Licensure, Certification, Registration
- Current Connecticut licensed RN, PT, or OT
- BLS certification from the American Heart Association
Preferred Licensure, Certification, Registration
- Orthopaedic certification preferred for RNs
- Orthopaedic experience 5-10 years for PTs
- Excellent consultative, interpersonal and customer service skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Requirements
- Highly effective communication skills: verbal, written, and public speaking.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build and maintain effective relationships with patients, family members, physicians, administration and staff.
- Requires critical thinking skills and decisive judgment within scope of practice. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and take appropriate action.
- Deep understanding of orthopaedic perioperative continuum of care, including best practices related to rehabilitation.
- Knowledge of clinical providers.
- Strong ability to identify problems, and develop and implement solutions to address risks and optimize care plan.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively cross-functionally with other teams and departments.
- Computer literate and database managing experience
- Ability to manage and organize multiple priorities.
- Able to work independently.
Demonstrates professionalism, proactivity, and responsiveness to needs of patients, staff and physicians.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.