Description Job Schedule:
Full Time Standard Hours:
40 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
Hartford HealthCare (HHC), with a total operating revenue of $5B, leverages its unified culture to enhance access, affordability, equity and expertise. Its care-delivery system, with more than 400 locations serving 185 towns and cities, includes two tertiary-level teaching hospitals, an acute-care community teaching hospital, an acute-care hospital and trauma center, three community hospitals, the state’s most extensive behavioral health network, a large multispecialty physician group, a clinical care organization, a regional home care system, Connecticut’s largest array of senior care services, and a comprehensive physical therapy and rehabilitation network. On average, Hartford HealthCare touches more than 17,000 lives every single day. The unique, system-wide Institute Model offers a unified high standard of care in crucial specialties at hospital and ambulatory sites across Connecticut. The Institutes include Cancer, Heart and Vascular, Ayer Neuroscience, Orthopedics and Tallwood Urology.
The Employment Attorney will work within Hartford HealthCare’s legal department supporting member organizations within the Hartford HealthCare system on employment and immigration matters.
- Advise and collaborate with legal, HR professionals, and management to respond to employee issues
- Handle demand letters and agency charges received from employees and/or their counsel, and provide employment law advice regarding internal investigations
- Perform transactional due diligence with respect to employment, labor and immigration issues
- Manage employment litigation matters
- Manage immigration matters
- Identify employment law trends and develop and implement company-wide risk mitigation strategies
- Develop and review HR policies and processes, communications, templates, intranet sites, and training materials
- Develop and deliver legal training for HR professionals, company managers and employees
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams on important legal issues
- Utilize excellent judgment, client counseling, multi-tasking, and decision-making skills
- Serve as a subject matter expert, educational resource, and strategic adviser, to HHC business leaders and colleagues on all aspects of employment law
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school with a license to practice law in Connecticut or ability to become an active member in one year, and outstanding academic credentials
- Ten plus years of relevant experience with emphasis on counseling clients with respect to state and federal employment laws, discrimination issues, leave and disability issues, workplace safety, representation at arbitration and administrative agencies, and conducting training
- Strong knowledge of current procedural and substantive law, as well as federal, state, and administrative agency rules
- Proficiency in legal research, including Lexis, Westlaw & other research tools, as well as technology used in operations, such as contract and document management
- Ability to apply analytical skills in addressing complex legal issues. Ability and willingness to proactively communicate with clients, claims staff, and other members of the in-house legal department
- Experience advising complex organizations with interaction between multiple legal entities
- Strong analytical, inter-personal, drafting, negotiation, written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong client service focus and the ability to work efficiently, prioritize a high-volume workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage projects in a fast-paced environment
- Previous experience with academic medical centers, physician group practices, and/or health care delivery systems either in-house or at a large law firm preferred
- Collegial, possesses mature interpersonal skills and is able to quickly adapt to changing demands
- Writing samples and references will be requested
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.