New Britain General
New Britain, CT
Are you an HHC Employee? Click here to apply
DescriptionJob Schedule: Per Diem
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, over 30,000 Hartford HealthCare colleagues come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
The Hartford HealthCare Cancer Institute focuses on offering our cancer patients an unparalleled network of coordinated services– all under one roof. Our system of care includes a truly integrated team with the most talented, experienced, and compassionate caregivers and physicians, backed by the latest cutting-edge technology.
The Hartford HealthCare Cancer Institute (HHC CI) is the charter member of the Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) Cancer Alliance. Through the bi-directional collaboration facilitated by this partnership, community providers are better positioned to provide state-of-the-art, evidence-based cancer care to improve the lives of cancer patients. Together, the Hartford Healthcare Cancer Institute and Memorial Sloan Kettering are staying ahead of cancer.
Radiation Therapists are responsible for maintaining their assigned treatment machine and schedule. They work integrally with all members of the Radiation Oncology Team to enhance each patient’s experience. Under the direction of the Radiation Oncologist a Radiation Therapist is responsible for administering daily radiation therapy treatments.
• Administer radiation therapy as prescribed by the physician
• Display professional conduct essential to the well-being of the radiation oncology patient.
• Maintain accurate and detailed treatment chart documentation
• Observe the clinical progress of the radiation oncology patient, use clinical decision making skills to recognize and report any signs of complications.
• Utilize treatment accessories to accurately reproduce the radiation treatment.
• Adhere to radiation safety procedure protocol.
• Safely and effectively operate a variety of computerized simulation and treatment machines.
• Maintain schedule of treatment machines and simulator
• Perform machine safety checks; know safe limits of equipment operations, and report abnormalities or inconsistencies to the proper authority.
• Construct immobilization devices and employ custom blocking techniques that are conducive to radiation therapy.
• Utilize appropriate imaging equipment for precise tumor localization.
Assists with the development of the Quality Assurance Programs for treatment and simulation procedures
• Assist with on the job instruction and orientation of staff therapists and students
• Assist with the development of in-service education programs
• Perform Time Outs at key points of the Radiation Therapy Treatment procedure to ensure that the correct site and treatment is performed on the correct patient using the correct equipment, technique and daily dose
• Perform other duties as assigned.
•Graduate of an approved radiation therapy program.
•Valid Connecticut State Radiographer’s License.
•ARRT Certification in Radiation Therapy.
•Ability to operate and utilize all types of radiation therapy equipment and supplies.
•Interpersonal skills to deal effectively with patients who may be under physical and/or emotional stress.
•Analytical skills for delivering radiation treatments based on available patient data.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.